We all have heard that famous saying, “Prevention is the best cure!” Unfortunately, it’s true for dental problems as well. The good news is most of the oral issues that people commonly experience can be prevented if proper dental hygiene is maintained.
What is Preventative Dentistry?
Preventative dentistry refers to keeping your teeth healthy by following good oral hygiene throughout your life. Preventive dentistry in Aubrey dental aims to educate people on keeping their teeth and gums in proper working condition, to avoid oral problems like gum disease, cavities, enamel wear and tear, and so on.
Maintaining proper oral health is good for your teeth, gums, and jaws and improves your overall well-being. Preventative dentistry includes a combination of routine dental check-ups, in which dentists recommend healthy brushing and flossing techniques.
Types of Services Offered in Preventative Dentistry
Reputed Aubrey dental clinics include the following Preventative dentistry services –
- Teeth cleaning
- Regular oral check-ups (usually half-yearly)
- Routine X-rays
- Fissure sealants
- Fluoride application
- Oral prophylaxis
- Space maintainers
- Serial extraction
The above services will help to –
- Prevent cavity formation and dental decay
- Maintain healthy teeth and gum
- Prevent gum diseases
- Reduce the risks of teeth misalignment
- Prevent teeth crowding
Why Preventative Dentistry is Necessary
We often fail to maintain the proper oral health habits, which may lead to various dental issues. Investing in avoiding those issues is better than inexpensive restorative treatment procedures like crowns, dental implants, and fillings. Besides, even if you don’t have a dental insurance plan, you can quickly pay for a regular dental check-up.
Apart from adult services, there are preventative dentistry services for kids. Make sure you take your child to a reputed Aubrey pediatric dentistry clinic for regular cleaning and preventive dental services.
You need to ensure your child doesn’t suffer from cavities and other oral problems since they prefer eating more sugary foods than adults. In particular, children will benefit from Preventative pediatric dentistry as it helps to develop healthy adult teeth.
8 Habits to Prevent Dental Problems
Preventative dentistry can begin at home, and it starts with you. Make sure you are following these habits regularly.
- Brush your teeth twice daily (in the morning and before bed) with fluoride toothpaste. Brush for at least 2 minutes every time.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria from your mouth. It will also offer a fresh breath.
- Replace your toothbrush 3-4 times yearly to keep the bristles functional.
- Floss your teeth daily to clean all the tight spaces between your teeth.
- Eat a balanced diet and give your teeth the nutrients they need daily. Limit your sugary and acidic foods.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to maintain your overall health. Besides, water can also wash away all acidic and surgery foods that may build up in your teeth.
- Visit the dentist every six months for a routine examination to diagnose potential problems.
- Use mouthwash as recommended by your dentist to clean the areas your toothbrush won’t reach.
Ensure you follow proper oral health to avoid gum bleeding, cavities, tooth decay, and more.
Now You Know!
Dental education starts from one’s childhood itself and continues throughout your life. Remember your parents repeatedly telling you about suitable teeth brushing methods? While you used to follow them because you wanted to have that favorite chocolate you were promised, you must maintain those habits for a lifetime to maintain fully functional oral health.